WXPR Development Director
WXPR Public Radio is seeking creative, adventurous candidates for the position of Development Director.
The Development Director will create and implement fundraising activities to fulfill the mission of WXPR. Development areas include, but are not limited to, underwriting, grant funding, planned giving, and major giving.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the mission and value of public media. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker and collaborative self-starter with superior communication and interpersonal skills. This is a full-time exempt position.
WXPR is an independent, community-licensed public radio station founded in 1983 and operated by White Pine Community Broadcasting, Inc. From studios in downtown Rhinelander, Wisconsin, WXPR can be heard in northern and central Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Scores of volunteer on-air hosts produce and deliver 70 hours of unique music programming per week. In addition, WXPR is an NPR affiliate that airs national news and produces its own local news. WXPR aims to inform, entertain and engage the community with music and information.
- Renew underwriters in a timely fashion. Upgrade where possible.
- Research and approach new underwriting prospects.
- Develop underwriting scripts according to FCC guidelines.
- Schedule underwriting using underwriting software.
- Send invoices and track payments.
- Keep complete, accurate files on each underwriter including contract information, scripts, contact history, correspondence, etc.
- Work with Membership Director to plan and carry out membership drives.
- Seek granting opportunities for programming, operating expenses, and other special and capital projects.
- Write and submit grant proposals.
- Report on grants received as required by the grantor.
Major donor and planned giving programs
- Develop and oversee these programs including identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects.
- Plan major donor receptions.
Promotional and fundraising events
- Work with other staff members and board members to produce fundraising and promotional events.
- Hosting news programming
- Cohost pledge drive programs
- All other duties as apparent or as assigned by general manager.
- Education or experience in development
- Public radio listener
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain positive, professional, and friendly relationships with community members and partners
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to prioritize assignments and work independently on complex communication tasks
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A high degree of confidentiality
- Grant-writing, grant-management and reporting experience preferred
- Highly organized and self-motivated team player who is professional, creative, and takes ownership of responsibilities
- Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Retirement plan
- Health, Life, and Disability Insurance
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you! Please send a cover letter and resume by to WXPR Station Manager Jessie Dick: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please detail how you heard about the job. Pay will be commensurate with experience. The position will remain open until filled.
WXPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, sex, or age.