Short-Term Rentals Still Need Licensing And Inspection

Feb 14, 2018

Credit Max Pixel

Last fall, the state changed statutes regarding short-term rentals but a local inspector says that change in the law did not change required inspection by the health department. The change allowed short-term rentals in places they weren't allowed before.

Oneida County Registered Sanitarian Todd Troskey says the short-term rental provision in Act 59 has not changed licensing and inspection requirements. He says a prospective owner of any rental property of less than 30 consecutive days is required to obtain a “Tourist Rooming House” license from the Oneida County Health Department, in addition to any Oneida County Planning and Zoning requirements.... 

"...a prospective tourist rooming house owner would have to contact the Oneida County Health Department and we would provide information on the licensing and inspection requirements for that person. What we're trying to make sure of is that regardless of whether it's a resort or someone has a house on the lake, the bar is set the same in terms of requirements for everyone to be licensed and inspected....."

If you have a property that you want to rent for less than 30 consecutive days, you need to contact the Oneida County Health Department for information on tourist rooming house licensing.

Any facility that is currently rented without being licensed may face a $749.00 Operating without License Fee, as well as citations in the amount of $280.50 for each and every day the situation exists. Local governments have been working to update their ordinances to meet the new state law.