© 2024 WXPR
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

As Snow Piles Up, Don't Damage Your Gas Meter


Wisconsin Public Service is asking residents to go clear out the snow from around their furnace vents and gas meters.

Spokesperson Lisa Prunty says you need to keep the vents for your furnace, your fireplace and your dryer all clear of obstructions.

"If those get blocked, they could cause an issue with carbon monoxide levels in the home which can be deadly and dangerous.....you want to go out with a broom or some type of brush and brush it off, and shovel gently around that area so that you're not hitting that meter."

Prunty says hitting the gas meter could result in a gas leak in your home. Not only will that make it easier for workers to come out and check the meter, but it will also keep it from malfunctioning if the vents on the meter get blocked with snow.

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs after enough inhalation of carbon monoxide.  Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas, but is  colorless, odorless, and  tasteless.  Initially non-irritating, it is very difficult for people to detect. Officials say properly working carbon monoxide detectors will save lives.

Up North Updates
* indicates required
Related Content