© 2022 WXPR
Mirror of the Northwoods. Window on the World.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

House Dems seek probe of USPS plan for new mail truck fleet

mail-truck-gebc47df36_1920.jpg
pixabay.com

Democrats on the House Oversight Committee are seeking an investigation into a U.S. Postal Service plan to replace its aging mail trucks with mostly gasoline-powered vehicles.

The plan largely ignores calls to replenish the mail-service fleet with electric vehicles and falls far short of President Joe Biden’s goals to address climate change.

In a letter Monday, Democrats asked the agency’s inspector general to investigate whether the Postal Service complied with the National Environmental Policy Act and other laws when awarding a 10-year contract to Wisconsin-based Oshkosh Defense to supply up to 165,000 new mail trucks.

Only 10% of the initial order will be for EVs; the remaining 90% use traditional gasoline-powered engines.

Related Content