Rhinelander to Celebrate Hodag, History, and Community with Hodag Heritage Days
Next month, Rhinelander will be celebrating all things Hodag with the Hodag Heritage Days.
“We want to celebrate our heritage. We want to be proud of each other. This community has really come together and supported each other on the local level. This event is for everyone,” said Rhinelander Chamber of Commerce Event and Program Coordinator Rachel Boehlen.
Boehlen says the idea for the event has been in the works for years.
The Chamber wanted to hold it last year, but like most things, it got pushed back because of the pandemic.
Now, the Hodag Heritage Days will be a celebration of the city’s history and its people.
“We are so proud of how our community has responded to everything going on in the last year, year and a half,” she said.
The Chamber along with Pioneer Park Historical Complex and the Hodag Store are hosting a series of events the week of May 17th.
There will be scavenger hunts, art contests, bike rides, a parked parade, and a Hodag Day Designation Ceremony.
Boehlen says there’s something for everyone.
“We wanted to provide the general public within person options or virtual options depending on everybody’s comfort level. With the pandemic, everybody’s at different comfort levels,” said Boehlen.
Hodag Heritage Days will feature the following events:
- Hodag Mini Statue Scavenger Hunt
- ‘Hodags Throughout the City’ Scavenger Hunt
- ‘All Things Hodag’ Items List-Celebrate with Hodag themed Beverages, Foods, and Retail Items from All Over Town
- Hodag Heritage Videos
- 3D Hodag Art Contest
- Flat Medium Hodag Art Contest
- Business Hodag Spirit Décor Contest
- Home Hodag Spirit Décor Contest
- Personal Hodag Spirit Contest-Get dressed up!
- Tour de Hodag Bike Ride– All ages and abilities welcome
- Spirit Day-Wear Your Hodag Garb on Friday! (May 21 st )
- Parked Parade at Pioneer Park 3-5pm Friday May 21 st
- Hodag Day Designation Ceremony – 4pm Friday May 21 st
Boehlen says they plan to make this annual event.
“We’ve already got plans going for next year,” she said.
You can learn more about the events on the Rhinelander Chamber of Commerce website.