Northwoods Veterans Post welcomes public with 9/11 ‘We Remember’ ceremony and open house
Nearly five years ago, Paul Russell saw a need in the Merrill community.
One of his last big projects under his military service was to build a facility in Madison that would house service members from all branches of the military.
“We got that done and it worked, and it was successful. That kind of was part my vision of getting this going because I knew if the military could do it that the veteran service organizations and scouting organizations could do it as well,” said Russel.
That’s how the Northwoods Veterans Post came to be.
It currently houses local branches of the VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans, and VFW-Auxiliary. It’s also home to the local Boy Scout, Cub Scout, and Girl Scout troops.
There’s even a banquet hall with bar and food service.
“It’s nice to have all the organizations work together, have some common goals and objectives, and that’s what we’re doing. It’s just easier when everyone’s at one location,” said Russell.
The organizations moved into the new facility a year ago, but with the COVID-19 pandemic they weren’t able to welcome the public into to see it.
With the 20th Anniversary of 9/11 this weekend, Russell thought now would be a good time to honor those who served while also inviting the public in to see what services are offered.
“To me, it’s the responsibility of the veterans and the veteran service organizations to make sure that we properly recognize and celebrate and mourn over the important holiday’s that we have in our country,” said Russell, “and that we don’t let members of our community, or the nation as a whole forget, about some of the sacrifices that have been made by men and women who have served.”
The following is the list of the events for the Grand Opening weekend:
Friday, September 10th, 2021
- Friday Fish Fry
- Food & Drink Specials
- Live Music
- Brice Tomaschefsky 8-10pm
Saturday, September 11th, 2021
- 7:30 -9:28 AM - "We Remember" Flag Retirement Ceremony - Scouts Flag Retirements in remembrance of Fire Department, Police Department, VFW Post 1638, Medical, Community.
- 9:28AM - "We Remember" 9-11-2001 20 Years
- 10:30 AM - M.A.C.R. Motorcycle Ride - Rosco's Ride for NVP 9:00 Register, 10:30 Departs
- $25 per Bike and $5 per Passenger - email: RideWithUs54452@gmail.com - Facebook: https:/facebook.com/RideMerrill or contact Dennis Fick 715-203-6518.
- 11:00 AM - Inflatable Obstacle Course & Military Displays
- 11:30 AM - Burgers, Brats, & Hotdogs by JB
- 1:00 PM - Grand Opening & Ribbon Cutting Ceremony - Miss Wisconsin
- Appetizers drink specials and tours. Bring a chair.
- 1:30 PM - NVP Commerative Photo of Veterans, Veteran Families, & Scouts.
- 4:00 PM - 6:00PM Live Music Carl Jackson
- 4:10 PM - Merget's Mouthwatering Mayhem Food Truck - NVP Food & Drink Specials
- 6:00 PM- M.A.C.R. Ride Returns & Live Music
- 6:00 PM - Raffles
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM Live Music by Juan sponsored by MACR Ride
- 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Live Music by The Northwoods Skitchers - sponsored by MACR Ride.
Sunday, September 12, 2021
- 11:00 AM - 3:00PM - Food & Drink Specials
- Packer Party - Big Screen Projection TV - Wear you Green and Gold
The Northwoods Veterans Post is located at 601 N Johnson St, Merrill.